12.19.2015

#HolidayBookBash Author Interview #1 with Vicki L. Weavil


YA Author, Vicki L. Weavil


Our first author to be featured as part of #HolidayBookBash is YA author, Vicki L Weavil. Welcome, Vicki!
Author Name: Vicki L. Weavil
Book Title: CROWN OF ICE
Release Date  – already released in 2014
Publisher: Month9Books

Genre:  YA Fantasy



Click the link below to read Vicki's interview and enter the giveaway!



Back Cover Copy of CROWN OF ICE:
Thyra Winther's seventeen, the Snow Queen, and immortal, but if she can't reassemble a shattered enchanted mirror by her eighteenth birthday she's doomed to spend eternity as a wraith. Armed with magic granted by a ruthless wizard, Thyra schemes to survive with her mind and body intact. Unencumbered by kindness, she kidnaps local boy Kai Thorsen, whose mathematical skills rival her own. Two logical minds, Thyra calculates, are better than one. With time rapidly melting away she needs all the help she can steal. A cruel lie ensnares Kai in her plan, but three missing mirror shards and Kai's childhood friend, Gerda, present more formidable obstacles. Thyra's willing to do anything—venture into uncharted lands, outwit sorcerers, or battle enchanted beasts—to reconstruct the mirror, yet her most dangerous adversary lies within her breast. Touched by the warmth of a wolf pup's devotion and the fire of a young man's desire, the thawing of Thyra's frozen heart could be her ultimate undoing.




Find Vicki L Weavil online at:

Website and Blog



INTERVIEW QUESTIONS:

When did you first know that you wanted to become a writer?

I’ve always loved to write, but when I was younger I focused on writing poetry and short stories for my own creative amusement. I didn’t think about attempting to become a professional author until about four years ago. I decided to write a novel just to prove myself I could finish one. (I always swore I would write a book and decided I needed to do keep my word!) The success of that book with beta readers led me to seek publication. Nothing happened with that first book (yet – it’s now out on submission, along with its sequel). However, I decided to keep working toward a professional writing career and wrote CROWN OF ICE – my third completed manuscript, but the first to be published. CROWN also connected me with my literary agency, Literary Counsel. Now represented by Frances Black at Literary Counsel, I currently have contracts for two more books in THE SNOW QUEEEN SAGA, which includes CROWN OF ICE and two companion books: SCEPTER OF FIRE (2016), and ORB OF LIGHT (2017). My YA scifi, FACSIMILE, will be published in spring 2016 and its sequel, DERIVATION, in 2017. A new YA Fantasy, THE DIAMOND THIMBLE, will be released in late 2018. All will be published by Month9Books.

In your words, what is your book about? 

CROWN OF ICE is a YA Fantasy that reinvents Hans Christian Andersen's tale of the Snow Queen from the perspective of a young woman who discovers the greatest threat to her survival may be her own humanity. It explores the familiar story from the viewpoint of a teenage Snow Queen, and examines whether a severely damaged individual – someone who’s “frozen” their emotions in order to survive – can ever learn to love again.

What is the hardest part about being an author? 

Facing a blank page!


What is your favorite part?
 

Creating new worlds, exciting adventures, and complex, interesting characters, and sharing them with readers.


What kinds of things do you like to do in your free time (when not writing)?
 

I love to travel, listen to music, watch films, and garden. I’m also an animal person who enjoys spending time with my cats and supporting animal welfare causes, among other charities.


What book are you reading now?
 

I just finished reading a wonderful ARC by my agent-mate, Wendy Tyson. It’s a cozy mystery called A MUDDIED MURDER, part of the GREENHOUSE MYSTERY series.  Look for it when it’s published by Henery Press in spring 2016!


What are some of your favorite books of 2015? 

I was writing so much I didn’t have time to read many non-work-related books in 2015, but finally got around to reading THE CUCKOO’S CALLING by Robert Galbraith (aka J. K. Rowling) and enjoyed that very much. I also liked some of the books I read for my book club, including THE STORIED LIFE OF A. J. FIKRY by Gabrielle Zevin and The SWAN THIEVES by Elizabeth Kostava.  On my list to read next is SIX OF CROWS by Leigh Bardugo.


What was your favorite book as a child?

Impossible question!  I used to read seven books in as many days, so I have many, many books I love. I do (obviously) love myths and fairy tales, and must acknowledge Hans Christian Andersen, without whom CROWN OF ICE and its companion books could not exist.

Describe your hero in three words.
(It’s a heroine, actually).  Intelligent, logical, courageous.


What are you working on now?

I am writing DERIVATION, the sequel to FACSIMILE, my YA scifi.  FACSIMILE will be published by Month9Books in spring 2016.  More information and the preorder link for the FACSIMILE paperback edition here.
  It can be added to Goodreads lists here.

I will also soon be hard at work on edits for SCEPTER OF FIRE, the first companion novel to CROWN OF ICE. It will be released later in 2016.

Thank you so much to Vicki L. Weavil for joining us to take part in #HolidayBookBash!!


Reminder, #HOLIDAYBOOKBASH runs from 12/19/15 - midnight EST 12/24/15. 
Each day will feature interviews from amazing YA authors, 
as well as your chance to enter to win the GRAND PRIZE PACK. 
*New ways to enter will be added with each author interview, so be sure to check back daily! *




No comments :

Post a Comment